Category Archives: Uncategorized

Regency Dress

Standard

Hi there! Finally got some pics of my latest projects!

IMG_4661

This is just a regency dress I made because I had the material:) It is made from a two toned gold and brown taffeta I got from  onlinefabricstore.com

IMG_4669

The trim I got from Joann fabric store.

IMG_4667

The back was just a simple lace up with some brown ribbon I found.

IMG_4680

I changed the sleeves a little from the original pattern because I don’t particularly care for huge puffs:)

B6630

I used Butterick pattern B6630.

Darby

Revolution Design Contest!

Standard

Hi everyone,

Sorry I have not posted in a month but I haven’t sewn in a month either! I have been attending a summer dance intensive in Charleston, SC. But I have done something in the meantime: I entered Revolution Dancewear’s costume design contest. I made it into the top ten and it is now on facebook for everyone to vote on, the top three will advance to the next round at get their costumes made in Chicago. Please go vote!

Revolution Dancewear

 

Darby

P.S. The costume is in pastel colors and they don’t show up very well in the picture:(

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!

Standard

Hi Everyone!

Sorry that I haven’t posted in a couple weeks (I am not slipping into my habit of not posting:) But my dance recital titled: “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” was the 15th and it always gets crazy that time of year!

1017390_653202388026504_1599556187_n

I was cast as the Queen Of Hearts; above is a shot from my solo near the beginning of the show. I made my costume using the skating pattern that I used for the fairy godmother as a base. Hopefully I will have better photos soon.

 

Darby

Fairy Godmother

Standard

My friend, Beverly, from dance was cast as the fairy godmother for our dance recital; she couldn’t really find anything she liked for a costume so she asked me to help her. This is the result:

IMG_0449

The Original:

cinderella-disneyscreencaps.com-5029

Obviously, as it was a ballet costume, some adjustments had to be made but I think it captured the fairy godmother look.

We designed the costume together although I think most of the design credit should go to Beverly. The material was purchased from spandex world it consists of a sky blue basic spandex for the leotard and a royal blue crushed stretch velvet for the caplet and hood, we also trimmed the bottom of the skirt with the dark blue.

The costume itself is a very basic sleeveless leotard with princess seam and a skirt that comes down to just above the knee; it was modified from an ice skating pattern, we had to lengthen the girth, change the top to sleeveless and lengthen the skirt.¬† The caplet/hood was taken from a cloak pattern, using just the top caplet and hood and is attached to her hair with a comb so as to sit farther back on her head. We used approx. 1/2″ flesh colored elastic for the straps and approx. 1/8″ white elastic to finish the upper edge of the leotard.

It took a grand total of 4 hours to make the costume from start to finish.

 

Darby

Coral And Teal

Standard

Wow! Has it really been nearly a year since I last posted? I guess that shows how much attention I pay!

Here are two more dresses that I promised in my last post (forever ago) and soon I’ll get pictures up of my other projects over the last months.

The first is a Coral Taffeta with white lace trim.

I actually don’t have a far away picture of either of the two that I am posting about today because they didn’t fit on my dress form so I couldn’t get a good picture of them.

Back view:

The next one is a Teal Taffeta with a chocolate brown braided trim:

Back view:

IMG_0757 new

 

Well, I guess that’s all for now! I will definitely not wait so long before posting again.

 

Darby

Buttons and Dresses!

Standard

Sorry it has been so long since I’ve posted, but I’ve been really busy since getting back from San Antonio… including filling orders from my etsy shop.

I recently made several dresses but today I’m only going to post one since I’m still very busy and need to get to work:)

The first I made was a two-toned burgundy taffeta, with a black braided trim. (I LOVE this dress!)

Here is a closer view:

 

Back view:

 

And I must recommend the hobby lobby button covering kits! I used them and they worked great. Although I did have to double up the material to make it stay… they wanted to pop apart when it was just the one layer.

 

Headbands

Standard

Hi everyone,

Here are some pictures of a headband I made not to long ago:

The flower was originally a rose shape sort of thing, but I gave it as a Christmas gift to someone and she liked it so much she asked me to make six for her to give as gifts… and wanted a magnolia, so that was my best go at a magnolia.

I am not sure about exact measurements but in the center it is about the length of my finger (after hemming, and also I have very short stubby fingers) and the ends are considerable shorter. It is just a rolled hem, the flower is just five large petals and five small petals tacked on there; the flower and the leaf all have rough edges, you don’t have to hem or anything there!

Well, maybe I’ll get some pictures of the rose shape sometime soon and post that with instructions on how to make it…

Darby