Hi! this is my blog for my sewing creations and crafts.
For my first post I have a costume that I’ve been working on for quite some time but have just recently finished. I’m making it for my sister’s movie on the Romanov family; set in 1914 Russia.
The costume was taken from a picture of the actual Romanovs that my sister had found on the internet, I absolutely fell in love with it! It is a plain fitted bodice with sleeves that taper out and end just below the elbows, with a sheer vest that goes over and ends about mid thigh.
To make the bodice I simply took a bodice pattern that I liked and modified it slightly to allow me to put a collar in; then I made a collar the length and width that I needed it to be. For the sleeves I just guessed at it, and it ended up being about 2-3 inches longer at the hem than it was where it attached to the bodice. The skirt was fairly straight and gathered some at the waist, here again I just made it up without using a pattern.
I used white pearly looking buttons to hook up the dress and a few hooks and eyes at the neck and waist. For the vest I found some sheer material that I liked and sort of just followed the general outline of the dress with a v-neck. The vest is not fitted. I then sewed buttons down the front and a silver clasp where the v meets. Then I got a sash that I already had to finish it off.
Here are some pictures of the results.
This is the picture of the Romanovs that I based the dress on:
This is a far away picture of me in my dress:
This is a close-up of the clasp on the vest:
Hope y’all enjoyed this post. Hope to post more costume pictures soon!